How high do we go?
- The average flight altitude is from tree top level to 3000 feet above ground level. The flight plan depends upon wind speed and direction.
Can we participate in the set up?
- You bet! We always appreciate it when two guests volunteer to hold the mouth of the balloon open while we cold pack the balloon. This is also a great photo opportunity as well. After the flight if you wish you may help with the pack up, but it is not required.
What fuel does the balloon use?
- The balloon is fueled by propane. We have two or three 10–20-gallon tanks in the basket for most flights.
How does a hot air balloon fly?
- Balloons operate through the basic principles of gravity and heat transfer. As air inside the balloon is heated, it rises. As the air inside the balloon cools, it descends. We also have control lines to let hot air vent out should we want to descend at a faster rate or during landing.
How big is the balloon?
- Our balloons are rated for two to five passengers plus pilot. The exact number of passengers is determined by weight.
- The balloon is measured in cubic feet. Our balloon is 130,000 cf.
What type of training do the pilots have?
- All of our pilots have a FAA certified Lighter Than Air Commercial Pilot's license.
Is it safe?
- Yes! With all of our years in business and our Pilots years of experience we are fortunate to have an excellent safety record!
How fast do balloons fly?
- A balloon is carried by the wind, and thus moves at the speed of the winds. We fly passengers in gentle breezes up to seven miles per hour on the surface and up to 25 mph aloft.
Can you steer a balloon?
- Winds determine a balloon's direction. Balloonists can steer a balloon, to a limited extent, by adjusting the balloon's altitude to make use of different wind speeds and directions.
Is age a factor in considering a balloon ride?
- Our minimum suggested age is six and we have no maximum age restriction on partaking in a balloon ride. One consideration is that passengers need to be 48 inches tall to see over the sides, be able to stand during the entire flight and be in good overall health. We have a basket with a door to make accessibility easier. If you have any medical concerns, you should consult your physician.
What if I'm pregnant?
- Although we would love to fly you, for your safety and your unborn child's safety we will be unable to take you aloft.
How long does a balloon ride last?
- The actual flight time is approximately one hour. The entire balloon experience, including pre-flight preparation, flight and post-flight celebration, may take three to three and a half hours.
How many people will be flying with me?
- Our balloons will accommodate two to five passengers depending upon weight.
What should I wear?
- The attire for ballooning is casual. We due recommend dark clothing to minimize any possible soiling of your clothing. To maximize your enjoyment, dress appropriately for the outside air temperature. We recommend pants, tennis or hiking shoes and a sweater, sweatshirt or jacket if it's a little chilly. Layers are best so that you can adjust for the temperature changes of the morning. Open toed and high-heeled shoes are not permitted. Please remember the balloon takes off and lands in open fields. The grass may also be damp from morning dew. Due to heat generated by the balloon's burners, a hat may be preferable for our taller passengers. Sunglasses are also a good idea.
May we bring video or camera equipment?
- Yes! A video or still camera offers the perfect opportunity to capture the spectacular scenery and memories of your balloon tour. The crew will be available before you take off to capture your picture in the basket.
What if I am afraid of heights?
- Our modern baskets provide security, comfort and safety with 48-inch-high sides and padded sidewalls. The balloon moves with the wind so unlike other aircraft motion sickness is also extremely rare.
Why do balloons fly in the early morning?
- Winds are generally most favorable the first hours after sunrise. In the morning, it takes a few hours for the sun to heat the earth's surface enough to generate the thermal activity that creates wind and unstable conditions. Ideal winds are three to six miles per hour on the surface.
What if I am celebrating a special event?
- Maverick Balloon Adventures specializes in making every flight a special occasion. We will custom build a package for any event, just give us a call. Check out our Packages that we currently offer including Engagements and Weddings.
What if we get weathered out?
- If your flight is cancelled due to weather and you are unable to re-schedule your Balloon Adventure your Deposit will be Refunded in Full.
Are we required to sign a waiver?
- Yes, a Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk Agreement are required to fly with us. Please find a link below to preview the forms.
You may print them out and bring them with you on the day of your flight to expedite the pre-flight check in process.